Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.survival
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Lessons from Sandy

On 10/31/2012 9:10 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Ah, yes, the old reliables.

During 2003, I asked one neighbor how he was doing. Fine, but no batteries
for his radio. I gave him some. Later, I asked if he was going to do
anything different for the "next one". Nope. So, this time I didn't bother
to ask how he was doing.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

"Frank"
wrote in message ...

Things you should have already known.
Family here learned also that you should not run your generator indoors.

My neighbor who came over for water an outage or two ago was complaining
that they could not find any D cells for their portable radio.

Some people never learn.

We have a lot of power outages with lines coming here along treed roads.
In one extended one, before I had a generator, this neighbor had to get
water for his toilets from the creek a quarter mile away. When the
power was only out a few hours, they had run out of water to drink or
brush their teeth. Even with a generator, I still keep bottled water
and extra water for flushes. There are times that the well pump is
broken. When that happens I can hook up to a next door neighbor and
I've had them hook up to me.

If you don't have a few bottles of water, a flashlight, or a few extra
batteries, you're a FUBAR loser.