Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Power for Well Pump

On 10/31/2012 11:04 AM, John F. F. wrote:
Hi all,
For those of us who are on private wells dependent upon electric I'm
wondering what, if any, alternate methods and techniques anyone has
without using a generator to operate their well pump.

Well, for the well itself you're pretty much stuck. Whether there's an
alternate water source depends greatly on location, location,
location...here the answer is "basically, no".

For the house we fill up several containers when it looks like things
could get bad for a while and count on it lasting long enough. When we
have cattle that must be watered and it's over a day it's "make it
happen somehow" whether that's the tractor over the fields to the city
water station (we're fortunate in that regard of being within a distance
that it is at least feasible) or the generator or whatever...

_IF_ were really going to be in the cattle business again for real, I'd
probably dig a second well and have it be solar-powered. Back years ago
before the submersible the windmill served but while they are off-grid
in that regards they're very high maintenance and low volume so don't
miss it that much...

Of course, as we've gotten older, often we just go to town for a night
or two and just don't worry about it much.... Town loses power much
less frequently and generally gets it back quicker.