Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Manhattan electrical substation explosion

On 10/31/2012 12:01 PM, micky wrote:
On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 00:58:28 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Oct 30, 6:48 pm, Oren wrote:
Video:

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/americas-newsroom/index.html#/v/1933950...

It was all on TV over here.
I suppose the main problem will be home heating/cooking at this time
of year.
Unless people were prepared with camping style equipment.

I have a propane heater meant for camping, but the warnings about
opening the window to prevent CO death are so strong, the window ended
up bringing in more cold than the heater made heat.

Didn't know what to do.

Especially if the power cut lasts for weeks.

Can't see them fixing the subway in less than weeks.

Any CO would be unsubstantial. If you cook with gas, you have the same
problem.

A friends hunting camp got unvented natural gas heaters after those that
bought the mineral rights to his property put in gas wells and gave him
gas for free. Scared the hell out of me but they have CO and low O2
detectors to shut off if there is a problem. We survived a week using them.