Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Countertop ideas for a workbench?

On Wed, 31 Oct 2012 07:37:01 -0700, SMS
wrote:

I tore out the workbench that was in the garage when we bought the house
(too high, too short) and am building a 3' x 10' bench, and it's almost
done, except for the top.

I need to choose a top. I'm thinking of two 36" x 80" solid core doors
cut to 36" x 60" each. These are a big expensive at $65 each, but I
think plywood is too thin, and AB plywood isn't that much less than the
doors.

Any other ideas?

To me, 3' is too deep for a bench- crap just gets lost in the back.

But you might use it for something other than what I do- so that would
determine the depth, the heft and the surface.

As I think about it I have 5 benches between the garage and basement.

In general, I like 2 layers of 3/4 plywood glued together. One end
of one bench has a chunk of countertop that I bought cheap. Another is
steel. Another is fireboard.

I have a 30" door that I throw on two sawhorses if I need the space.

Jim