Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default FLIR

On 10/30/2012 3:00 PM, BeeJ wrote:
Looking at FLIR handhelds to do a bunch of tasks including identifying
hot components / traces. I also plan to use it for monitoring room air
leaks and wall insulation.

1) are there any features of a particular FLIR model that is advantageous?

2) is there a place to get a better price break? New! One unit.

Do the math.
I'm gonna use round numbers, YMMV.
If you want to look at a PCB with SMT devices, you may want 1mm resolution.
If your IR scanner has 160pixel resolution, that gives you a 16cm
field of view. That's close focus and the depth of field will be lousy.
Will be useless for scanning a wall for leaks.

More likely, affordable scanners will work fine for the wall leaks
and be useless on small components.

Unless you get an IR scanner with zoom and/or macro focus adjustment...
or have a close-up lens made out of Germanium, it'll be hard to
make both measurements with one device.

People overestimate the temperature measurement capabilities of IR.
Emissivity plays a big part when measuring random devices on a PCB.
I did some experiments 30 years ago. Turns out that spraying
a board with foot powder normalized the readings nicely.
Problem was that the foot powder wouldn't wash off. Bummer...