Posted to uk.d-i-y
the_constructor[_2_] the_constructor[_2_] is offline

Default The Dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)

"Chris Bartram" wrote in message
On 28/10/12 12:41, the_constructor wrote:
Had a Dell Dimension 9100 given to me a couple of days ago and as soon as
switched on I got the dreaded BSOD. Looking on the internet for advice,
the
BSOD covers numerious problems.

I took the hard drive out and put it into another computer and virus
checked
it. It found 2 viruses which were deleted, then it was placed back into
DELL
PC and it worked fine. I did a manufacturers reset hoping this would cure
my
problems. It did and it didn't. I took all the AOL, Tiscali and Norton
crap
off and switched on the day after only to be greeted with the BSOD again.

Does the manufactures reset just copy new files to the old file structure
or
does it do a complete format of the hard drive and also when I press Ctrl
+
F11 at bootup does this read a file on the non manufacturers part of the
hard drive before it restores the hard drive.

I was thinking of reformatting the hard drive using a Win XP disc and
then
doing a manufacturers reset.

Advice most welcome please.....

Jim G

7 times out of 10, a BSOD is faulty memory. The other 3 are a failing
HdDD, failing motherboard, or a duff driver.

Many thanks to everyone for the help. It turned out to be a faulty stick of
memory. Machine up and running nicely.

Jim G