Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default (OT) Rebuilding laptop batteries

On 10/30/2012 11:16 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:29:53 -0700, wrote:

You'll find youtube videos on how people added power supplies to
keep the chip powered while replacing the cells "hot".
Another problem is that even if the chip doesn't turn the system
off, it sometimes remembers the old battery capacity and reports
that to the laptop which turns off based on the wrong number.
It's always something.

If the computer remembers the battery capacity, what happens if a person
gets a new battery? If the old battery was at (example 25%), then a
brand new battery will only work at 25%.

I never knew it was so complicated to change a battery in these laptops.
I think my plan to rig up an external motorcycle battery pack is looking
better by the minute. I did remove the battery yesterday and was able
to run the computer via power cord connected to AC outlet. If that
battery is gonna shut down the computer so I cant use it at all,

no,no,no...the battery pack can shut itself down, but it won't hurt
your laptop.
The situation that causes the pack to shut itself down is when you
discharge it and set it on the self for years. Happens a lot with
used laptops that sat in the basement for years before they showed
up at the estate sale.

The primary reason I mentioned it is that when you disconnect the
cells to replace them, the chip triggers the shutdown mechanism
and you may not be able to recover a working pack even tho it has
new cells.

I wont
be putting it back. From now on it will operate off AC or an external
battery only.

Thanks for the extensive info about this.

That's not what I said.
I said the "chip" (inside the battery pack) may remember the old capacity.
The chips I've looked at track the battery capacity as it goes
down. But they have no ability to track it if it goes up.
Cuz, it never happens in a battery pack that hasn't been tampered.

Changing a battery is trivial.
Changing the cells inside a battery is not. There's a lot of
secrecy around the process so they can keep charging you big bux
for new battery packs...and keep you from setting yourself on fire.