Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Hurricane Sandy looks pretty bad

Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 20:38:28 -0400, john
wrote:

Gunner wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 16:59:51 -0400, john
wrote:

Steve W. wrote:
Gunner wrote:
http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/

SNIP

Best of luck to everyone in its path. Even the Leftwingers.
Gunner

Just waiting now. Saws are all set gen sets ready. Vehicles are fueled.
If it does what is predicted the next couple days might be very cold and
wet. I'm hoping that flooding isn't as bad as it was over the past few
years. Not fun running around pumping out basements....

Here is some crazy stupid person trying to make the Darwin list.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zz3AP9eup4

Sure seemed to me that he was handing it just fine. Much like boating
on Lake Superior in fact, most of the year.

there are some other pictures of the boat rolling over in the surf but I
don't have the url for them.

How did that happen? He screwed up coming back in? If you find the
links..post em?

That wave action wasnt all that bad in fact. Shrug and the "surf"wasnt
very high. From my observation, he proceeded in a safe and proper
manner. But then..I only grew up and learned to sail and power boat
from the Power Squadron on the upper Great Lakes...got my Coast Guard
card about the age of 12 as I recall.

The tidal surge is what will do the most damage. Even some of the boats
that were pulled out of the marinas will be floated with the surge. I
managed to move mine behind a tidal flood gate so the surge will not
affect it.

Unless the waves go over the top...then you will have a nice insurance
claim in the loop.

The flood gates are about 20 feet high. They are also in a protected
channel.

I bet you did this too on the lake. Here are some pictures of the same
boat after it made a turn along the beach.

http://wall.patch.com/articles/photo...rk-river-inlet

John

Did what also? Tried ****ing around on the surf line? Only in a
Whaler with a big engine. That guy screwed up badly when he started
****ing off on the surf line. Its far far calmer out a bit and he
should have run out a ways and then ran the coast. Either he is an
idiot, or he wasnt paying any attention to where he was at when he
decided to run the coast.

I rather suspect there are going to be a lot of boats coming up on the
market in the next several months. Boats beat to **** in heavy seas in
their slips in the marinas.

Ebay will start showing them about January, once the insurance
companies have got em squared away.

And I bet I can get you a real good deal on a nice car out of NYC.

John