Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default How long can I run my van without an alternator?

John Williamson wrote:
ARW wrote:
John Williamson wrote:
ARW wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
If you have a spare battery and a set of jump leads that might
get you out of a fix if the worst comes to the worst..
Now I can do that. And I do have very good set of jump leads.

Alternatively, try one of the cigarette lighter jump lead sets
and one of the jump start batteries with a cigarette lighter
socket built in. Disconnect for starting, and connect while
running. You don't even need to open the bonnet. Or make up a
lead with a cigarette lighter plug on one end and a pair of
decent Crocodile clips on the other.
Sure the Alternator is duff, not just a simple fan belt loss
of tension?...
Totally sure, it's whining like a posh bird who does not have
tickets for Ascot.

Let's hope the bearings don't fail totally, then. Electrically,
there's normally no problem running with no charge from the
alternator, but a mechanical failure can be a bit dramatic.

Nothing that the cutting the belt would not cure?

You may find that you need muscles in your legs and arms that you
didn't know you had, as the power steering pump will stop working if
what you have posted is correct. Ditto the vacuum pump for the brake
servo. You also need to be careful that the fan belt doesn't drive
the water pump, as that can cause a *very* expensive overheating
problem very quickly indeed.

So worse than having to walk around instead of driving around to the fwb's
tonight:-(

--
Adam