Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Nomad[_2_] The Nomad[_2_] is offline

Default How long can I run my van without an alternator?

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 19:11:03 +0000, charles wrote:

In article , Tim Lamb
wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 30/10/12 17:51, ARW wrote:
Bugger just failed. Tonights journey home took an hour (inc 15
minutes with the engine off at a level crossing) but with the
headlights on for all the journey apart from the level crossing
wait.

No heater on, no radio on and just an occasional use of the wipers.

It's a 65Ah battery in a diesel van and the battery still has some
power in it now that I am back home - enough to restart the van
without any problems.

The problem is I cannot easily get the alternator changed until
Monday so the 8A battery charger will be on overnight and I need the
van for the next 3 days. Recharging at work is not a problem.

Not for long. wifes car lost its headlights after less than an hour of
being towed.

Front wheel drive van?

Conventional filament bulbs would pull about 11-12 amps but halogens?

headlamps have used halogens for very long time. My 1972 Cortina had
them -
55w each

Well,

Ford Focus estate with a tired battery - only about 15 minutes with head
lights on, then battery voltage too low to run EMU and it was all stop.

Good luck - I'd bet on the polo me.

Avpx

--
Lady Ramkin's bosom rose and fell like an
empire.