Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How long can I run my van without an alternator?

ARW wrote:
tony sayer wrote:

If you have a spare battery and a set of jump leads that might get you
out of a fix if the worst comes to the worst..

Now I can do that. And I do have very good set of jump leads.

Alternatively, try one of the cigarette lighter jump lead sets and one
of the jump start batteries with a cigarette lighter socket built in.
Disconnect for starting, and connect while running. You don't even need
to open the bonnet. Or make up a lead with a cigarette lighter plug on
one end and a pair of decent Crocodile clips on the other.

Sure the Alternator is duff, not just a simple fan belt loss of
tension?...

Totally sure, it's whining like a posh bird who does not have tickets for
Ascot.

Let's hope the bearings don't fail totally, then. Electrically, there's
normally no problem running with no charge from the alternator, but a
mechanical failure can be a bit dramatic.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.