Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Sandy

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 08:51:21 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 10/29/2012 9:47 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 21:14:25 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 10/29/2012 9:02 PM, dpb wrote:
On 10/29/2012 8:38 PM, Leon wrote:

Not saying that at all, just saying that the way the storm is being
described it is most likely over emphasized. It is a storm hitting the
US and this is news, make the most of the broadcast exposure as you can.

You can't know that a priori is the point. I don't think NOAA has over
emphasized the potential severity a bit...

I've agreed the 24-hr media of all ilks tends to overblow stuff, but
that's true for everything from pop culture to politics and everything
in between.

If you yourself really mean only that instead of that you don't think
there's a thing to see here and that there's not a possibility of some
really serious consequences, that's something else.

Keep firmly in mind, while watching the TV coverage of this natural
event, that anyone hired based on the size of their tits, looks, or hair
style, is, at absolute best, only competent to _report_, not remark or
opine ...

You're kidding, right? Competent reporting? On teevee? chortle

Actually, competent reporting deciphering is an acquired talent.

Your see the idiot reporter standing in the wind and rain. He/she is
blabbing harder than the winds. He/she leans into the winds with his
rain slicker flapping a bit while curious tourists walk in the back
ground tossing the foot ball.

And picking up all the footprints on the desolate beach Clinton was
broadcasting from in France that one time. Someone recently linked to
an idiot newslady in a canoe that got shown up by another guy behind
her, -walking- around in the water. The deep and dangerous floodwaters
were nearly halfway up his shins. g

Seriously, of the winds are as dangerous as reported the reporter would
not be out in the wind. When listing/watching storm coverage use your
eyes, not your ears, to determine how bad the storm really is.

I went one better. I disconnected from broadcast/cable TV entirely.
My TV set is used to watch DVDs (commercial free!) and the occasional
VHS movie. No radio, no television, no commercials, EVER!
Thank Crom.

--
No greater wrong can ever be done than to put a good man at the mercy
of a bad, while telling him not to defend himself or his fellows;