Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How long can I run my van without an alternator?

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:51:21 PM UTC, wrote:

Bugger just failed. Tonights journey home took an hour (inc 15 minutes with
the engine off at a level crossing) but with the headlights on for all the
journey apart from the level crossing wait.
No heater on, no radio on and just an occasional use of the wipers.
It's a 65Ah battery in a diesel van and the battery still has some power in
it now that I am back home - enough to restart the van without any problems.
The problem is I cannot easily get the alternator changed until Monday so
the 8A battery charger will be on overnight and I need the van for the next
3 days. Recharging at work is not a problem.

Headlights are the main load, 55w ea is around 10A, plus around 1A for rears. ISTR mechanical ignition eating a few amps. 15A 65Ah is 4hrs if fully charged. Its longer than a car because of the battery capacity.

A spare battery will help, plus parking it on a hill so you can bump start it. The average petrol tranny is push startable on level ground, I don't know about diesel. If you've got to preheat it, that'll drain the battery fast.

If you break down away from home, towing is pricey these days, just about no-one is willing to use a tow rope any more, everyone wants to trailer it. I've done enough towing to understand why.

If you end up moving it when the engine conks out, don't forget 95% of the brake effort is powered by the engine.

NT