Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default How long can I run my van without an alternator?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 30/10/12 17:51, ARW wrote:
Bugger just failed. Tonights journey home took an hour (inc 15
minutes with the engine off at a level crossing) but with the
headlights on for all the journey apart from the level crossing
wait. No heater on, no radio on and just an occasional use of the
wipers.

It's a 65Ah battery in a diesel van and the battery still has some
power in it now that I am back home - enough to restart the van
without any problems. The problem is I cannot easily get the alternator
changed until
Monday so the 8A battery charger will be on overnight and I need
the van for the next 3 days. Recharging at work is not a problem.

Not for long. wifes car lost its headlights after less than an hour of
being towed.

Why did she need the headlights?

--
Adam