gandalf

Default Mitre Saws

"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I'm in the market for a Mitre Saw. I've come across a 210mm saw at
toolstation.com , their number is 50193, but it seems very cheap and
i've never heard of toolstation.com before. Would I be better off
spending a bit more and getting it from b&q.

--------------
I got one of these a little while ago:

(just in case the link is mangled it's a Ferm KZ250 from Screwfix, quote num
19638)

It chomps through pine, 4x2, 3x2 and even 4x4 (if I turn it over) with no
difficulty at all and the cut is repeatable and remarkably clean if you don't
rush it. However, It is not good enough to simply take an angle off a protractor
and set the machine up to that. I tried that on my current project and was out
by 3 degrees. Only test pieces so no drama. I don't know yet whether it's the
saw gauge that is out or this giant protractor cum saw guide thing that I have,
so for now I just transfer actual angles to an adjustable bevel and true the saw
to that. Probably what I should have done anyway.

But, once set-up it is repeatable, definitely has the oomph for the job and does
feel like it can take it all in it's stride.

But what I really want (as well as the big CMS) is one of these: