Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default How long can I run my van without an alternator?

In article , ARW
o.uk scribeth thus
David WE Roberts wrote:
"ARW" wrote in message
Bugger just failed. Tonights journey home took an hour (inc 15
minutes with the engine off at a level crossing) but with the
headlights on for all the journey apart from the level crossing
wait. No heater on, no radio on and just an occasional use of the
wipers.

It's a 65Ah battery in a diesel van and the battery still has some
power in it now that I am back home - enough to restart the van
without any problems.

The problem is I cannot easily get the alternator changed until
Monday so the 8A battery charger will be on overnight and I need
the van for the next 3 days. Recharging at work is not a problem.

Ran my old diesel Volvo for about 2 hours begore the battery gave up.
Five minutes from my destination, as well.

Can you scare up a spare battery just in case?

Yes, but it takes 50 minutes to swap the battery:-(

On the plus side I do not need headlights in the morning to get to work and
I am quite happy to do a rush hour crawl though a town centre with just the
parking lights on for the journey home (I'll just switch the headlights on
for the last 15 miles home).

The lack of a heater is not a problem as I am working outside all day.

If you have a spare battery and a set of jump leads that might get you
out of a fix if the worst comes to the worst..

Sure the Alternator is duff, not just a simple fan belt loss of
tension?...

--
Tony Sayer