Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Adhesive coated, collated finish nails?

On 10/29/2012 10:23 PM, Dave wrote:
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 10:23:07 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
I actually have seen them and long ago had some but have not seen any in
a while. Maybe I should say I have not seen any because I have had
absolutely no need for finish nails that long.

When I was building the cedar garden furniture for a friend, I used
these nails from Lee Valley to attach the table top and the bench
tops.

They're not exactly finish nails, but the heads on them were certainly
smaller than regular common nails. The only problem with nails that
long is their tendency to collapse before they're hammered in all the
way. After the first one bent in me, I drilled pilot holes for all the
rest.

Damned things were expensive through.

The nails I was referring to long ago were actually 3" long witha finish
nail head and the nail was about 3/32" in diameter. Basically they were
framing nail caliber with out the big head. I suppose they were used
for flooring prior to the availability of modern nail guns.