Mike Marlow

Default Hanging/Trimming Door Slab

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have some cheap beat-up luan doors in my house that I want to
replace. I can buy the 6-panel pine slabs for about 1/2 the cost of
pre-hung solid pine, and will probably go that route since the
existing door casing and frames are in perfect condition, and the
underlying framing should support the extra weight.

I suspect that the edge will have to be trimmed by a 1/8 or 1/4, and
I know that the strike side of the door should be bevelled 3 to 5
degrees.

You should not have to bevel your edges. A door will open and close just
fine with a square edge as long as there's enough margin between the jam and
the door. I wouldn't lose any sleep trying to get a 5 degree bevel if it
were me.
--

-Mike-