Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default emergency light

On Oct 28, 10:53*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Commercial codes have required emergency lighting for decades. *I've
added a couple of inexpensive ones at home.

First one I bought is an Energizer from Tractor Supply. *Plugs into
any socket and maintains a charge. *If power goes out, light goes on.
Yesterday I was in Home Dept and bought a $10 Capstone Eco i Lite that
does the same thing and has a night light. *What is nifty is it has an
induction charger so no contacts to make when taking it out or putting
it back in the holder. *Charge is supposed to last 4 hours.

Of course, I have other flashlights and an LED lantern, but if the
power goes out suddenly, we won't be in total darkness trying to find
a light.

Years ago when I was in the Coast Guard and stationed in Alaska, we
had a 1/4 mile long tunnel that led from the main station to the
transmitter building. There was an emergency light at both ends. We
had a bicycle with a large basket that we used to bring supplies to
and from the transmitter building. One dark night when I was on duty,
we lost power and I had to get to the transmitter building ASAP.

Since the lights only lit a small portion of the tunnel at both ends,
it was pitch black for most the middle section. I hopped on the bike,
leaned the basket against the wall, and peddled as hard as I could
towards the light at the other end. For a few hundred feet I was
riding in pitch black with only the light at the other end for
comfort. It was pretty spooky! I was very familiar with the tunnel and
knew (assumed?) that there would be nothing for me to hit, so I just
kept peddling until I could see again.

The next day I spoke to the safety officer and he put in an order for
some wire and few more emergency lights to line the tunnel and
eliminate the dark sections.