Posted to alt.home.repair

Default emergency light

On 10/28/2012 9:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Commercial codes have required emergency lighting for decades. I've
added a couple of inexpensive ones at home.

First one I bought is an Energizer from Tractor Supply. Plugs into
any socket and maintains a charge. If power goes out, light goes on.
Yesterday I was in Home Dept and bought a $10 Capstone Eco i Lite that
does the same thing and has a night light. What is nifty is it has an
induction charger so no contacts to make when taking it out or putting
it back in the holder. Charge is supposed to last 4 hours.

Of course, I have other flashlights and an LED lantern, but if the
power goes out suddenly, we won't be in total darkness trying to find
a light.

I have CFL desk lamps plugged into the UPS units on our computer
equipment here at The Crotchety Old Farts Lair so the lights stay on
when the power goes out. I have dozens of UPS units and use them for all
sorts of things. I work on computer systems and folks toss the UPS
units when all that's needed is a replacement battery. I took a load of
bad AGM batteries to a recycler Friday and got $40.00 for them. A small
UPS for a computer will run a 13 watt CFL for quite a while. ^_^

TDD