Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default OT - Grill Heat Plates - Stainless Steel, Porcelain Coated or Rocks

On Oct 28, 7:35*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 10/27/12 9:03 PM, bob haller wrote:
On Oct 27, 7:26 pm, Home Guy wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
I need to replace the heat shields on my Gas Grill. My grill uses
individual "tents" over each of the 3 burners. The ones I am
replacing were porcelain coated but are now beginning to rust out.

I have a Weber Genesis grill (barbeque) and it has these "tents" formed
out of plates of stainless steel bent at a 90 degree angle, with each
arm being about 2" wide. *Weber calls them "flavorizer" bars.

https://a6b4a8e9ecc9e0dce095-44a90a8...82d18b.ssl.cf2....

I can get 3 porcelain coated heat plates for $43 or 3 stainless
steel plates for $19 - less than half the cost of porcelain
coated.

I'd get the stainless steel.

Question 2: I've seen some opinions that a rock plate is better
for heat distribution than heat shields. That makes sense.
However, I assume I will need a grate to hold the rock plate.

You can buy bricks or some sort of synthetic stones to put in your
barbeque to hold the heat better. *I've been thinking of getting some
and drop them in-between the "flavorizer" bars.

http://www.rona.ca/images/1666198_L.jpg

I just rebuilt my 30 year or so sears gas grill. it uses lava rock.
the rock holding grate and grill plates were rotting away..

replaced now with 304 staninless which should out live me.. i had my
best friend do the stainless welding.... he did much of the rebuild in
2000.....

i am giving serious thought to having him make the burner out of that
stainless its non magnetic.

my grill was my moms kept around for largely sentimental reasons, but
i think it wrks far better than the cheap chinese grills sold today

I had to go to Home Depot for some stuff so I wandered down the grill aisle.

I found an adjustable width porcelain cooking grate that was the perfect
length for my grill - $15.99. *I found a bag of ceramic briquettes - $6.99.

I removed the rusted heat plates, sized the grate to fit on the heat
plate brackets and placed the briquettes on the grate.

I'm going to try it a few times and if I don't like the way it cooks,
I'll order some replacement heat shields and put it back the way it was..

While I was out I picked up a chicken which will go on the rotisserie
during the football games tomorrow. SWMBO bought some Jerk seasoning that
I've been wanting to try.

SWMBO and I finished a rotisserie chicken with Jerk seasoning. It came out
fantastic!

I won't know if the briquettes will help even out the heat or prevent flare
ups until I grill some sausage patties or burgers, but I'm glad I cleaned
all the grease and other crap out of the grill so I didn't have any
problems while doing the chicken.

Time to carve some pumpkins.

I have put my gas grill,parts in my gas ovens high temp cleaning
cycle, they come out looking like new

Although I put the alunimum body lower half and top in cleaning cycle
once, it came out looking great, but tad bit melted, lid didnt shut
right.. but I solved that