Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Buck XMFR questions

On 2012-10-28, wrote:
On 28 Oct 2012 02:17:43 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

[ ... ]

You are getting your three phase from a rotary converter. Is it
wired to give you a Wye "Y" neutral point, or is it delta? I think that
for the buck-boost, you really want Wye to simplify the setup. Delta
would need isolation transformer in each phase as well. If you
connected the primarys to a delta source, and hooked the secondarys
between the corners of the delta and the load you would be applying
correction voltages at a weird phase relationship to the voltages at the
corners. But if you have your rotary converter using a Wye connection
in the idler motor, you should be fine.

The phase converter output is wired Wye. The spindle motor is 15 HP.
And some jobs peg the load meter at 120%. Just briefly.

Wye -- good! That makes the buck-boost easier to set up.

O.K. 15 HP *That* is impressive.

The chips
coming off sound like hail hitting the inside of the lathe.

Make sure that the interlock on the door is good. :-)

I'm not sure when I will lose connection -- but the way they are
talking, we should have a significant period without power, so don't be
surprised if I stop posting in the next few days. (Just to the west of
the Washington DC Beltway in Virginia, and lots of rain and wind
promised. :-(

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564