Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Grill Heat Plates - Stainless Steel, Porcelain Coated or Rocks

On Oct 28, 7:23*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 07:38:57 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote:
Question 2: I've seen some opinions that a rock plate is better for
heat distribution than heat shields. That makes sense. However, I
assume I will need a grate to hold the rock plate. A quick search
showed some galvanized steel rock grates. Can I expect these to rust
out just like the heat shields? Buying a rock grate and a rock plate
is going to be more expensive than the heat shields, but if they work
better and last longer, I wouldn't mind spending the extra money.

"Galvanized" means the steel has either been electroplated with zinc or
(better) dipped in molten zinc. *The zinc prevents the steel form oxidizing
(rusting). *You can easily melt zinc on a kitchen stove so I would expect it
to rapidly disappear on your grill leaving plain old steel. *Steel rusts.

Not to mention that breathing in the fumes from the galvanized is bad
for you too. *I'm surprised they would sell galvanized for a grill.

If your are breathing the fumes, you are also probably cooking
yourself and don't care about the fumesg.