Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Testing a NiMH battery charger

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 08:42:41 -0700, mike wrote:

If you do the research, you'll probably decide that anything bought from
HF is CRAP. That goes double for anything with a battery in it.

Agreed. I needed a reciprocating pneumatic saw and bought two from
Harbor Freight. That's when I discovered that the blade travel was
about 1/8". Useless junk.

Enloops are highly regarded cells, but I guess it also matters what
color the top plastic is. Japanese vs Chinese manufacture.

There are now 3 or 4 varieties of Eneloop batteries. Five if you
include Chinese fakes. There was a web page showing how to identify
the various varieties, but I can't seem to find it.

Ebay cells are a crap shoot. I'm sure some of them are genuine,
but I wouldn't bet money on it. My limited experience with EBAY cellphone
batteries suggests that their specs are exaggerated.

I buy quite a few eBay cell phone batteries. My guess(tm) is that
I've bought and used about 200 batteries from random vendors. Many of
them get tested with my West Mtn Radio CBA II for capacity. I have
had some obvious lemons, but they were simply dead, as in no output.
Tested capacity is varies somewhat from LiIon cell to cell. The
switchover from explosive LiPo batteries to safer varieties seems to
have resulted (i.e. not sure) in about a 10% decrease in capacity.
However, the battery label remains the same as with the LiPo including
the rated capacity.

Sometimes, you can find lower capacity cells with lower internal
resistance, but I don't know how to tell without actually measuring it.

Neither do I. So, I measure it. Some typical results:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?276446-Mapping-Battery-Performance-An-Intro-to-Ragone-Plots
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?278063-AA-Ragone-Plot&highlight=Ragone
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?298090-The-AA-NiMH-Performance-Test-Thread
etc. My results for specific battery follow these tests almost
exactly.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D