Buck Turgidson

Default Hanging/Trimming Door Slab

I have some cheap beat-up luan doors in my house that I want to replace. I
can buy the 6-panel pine slabs for about 1/2 the cost of pre-hung solid
pine, and will probably go that route since the existing door casing and
frames are in perfect condition, and the underlying framing should support
the extra weight.

I suspect that the edge will have to be trimmed by a 1/8 or 1/4, and I know
that the strike side of the door should be bevelled 3 to 5 degrees.

So I am debating in my mind the best way:

1) Can I get by aggressively sanding the edge with a random orbital sander,
taking off wood, and bevelling at the same time? Time consuming, no doubt.
But will it be effective?

2) Should I carefully rip with a skilsaw set on a bevel using a clamped
straight-edge, and then sand the saw marks? In theory, it sounds easy, but
I doubt that would hold in practice, having to worry about the kerf, any
accidental wiggle in the saw, etc.

3) Buy an electric planer (about the cost of 1 pre-hung door)? I've never
used one. Obviously they can shave down the edge, but can they bevel at the
same time?

4) Belt sander?

Thanks for any advice.