Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT - Grill Heat Plates - Stainless Steel, Porcelain Coated or Rocks

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 17:46:11 -0400, DerbyDad03
wrote:

I need to replace the heat shields on my Gas Grill. My grill uses
individual "tents" over each of the 3 burners. The ones I am replacing
were porcelain coated but are now beginning to rust out.

I can get 3 porcelain coated heat plates for $43 or 3 stainless steel
plates for $19 - less than half the cost of porcelain coated.

Question 1: Will porcelain coated last twice as long as plain stainless
steel? Neither choice lists the gauge of the heat shields so I can't use
that to compare the two choices.

I'd go with the stainless. Well, actually, I'd probably still use the
ones in there. Rust is not really a factor in how they perform. Clean
them as best you can. Soaking in an ammonia solution will get the
crud off, but do it outside and watch for the fumes.