Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Printed Pole Motor

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 11:08:56 -0700, wrote:

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:56:25 -0400,
wrote:

On 27 Oct 2012 01:45:54 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2012-10-27,
wrote:
On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 17:54:23 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Cross-Slide wrote:

I remember reading a book about motors, and one of the more interesting
ones was referred to as a "Printed Pole Motor" IIRC.

I believe they are now used in high-end machining centers as a way
to get very wide speed ranges at full HP without using gearing or
belt drives. I think they are also called switched reluctance
motors. They do not use any permanent magnets, but rewrite the
poles on an iron rotor.

Jon
Apparently " printed" pole motors are now called "written" pole
motors. See this link:
http://www.meridiumpower.ca/C/c_1.html for an
explanation.

Only called that by this maker. Note the (R) (registered
trademark symbol -- the letter 'R' in a circle) everywhere it is used,
and this note about ahla way down (where the (R) symbol is showing as
"\256" on my screen, showing that it is a non-printing character on this
system. But it may show up properly on yours.

Written-PoleĀ® is a registered trademark of Precise Power Corporation.

And the printed motors which I have seen (and which I have a
few examples of) are DC motors, while these are AC for the standard power
line -- single phase or three phase.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I've hot a (big) handfull of printed circuit DC motors - some of
them complete with the servo tach mechanisms from old industrial
robots looking for an application. HEAVY little critters witk cast
steet? frames.

The motors I'm talking about are not printed circuit motors. The poles
are "printed" or "written" on the rotor as the motor spins. This way
the motor can have any number of poles on the rotor at any time. Each
time the rotor spins the magnetic poles can be changed by a winding in
the stator. Look at the link provided. And also note that as DoN
pointed out the term "written" is a registered trademark for this
particular type of AC motor.
Eric

I am aware of the AC written pole motors. Basically computerized
re-wiring of the stator for different speeds .