View Single Post
  #19   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Durable Exterior Finish

UPDATE:
-------

I've just returned from the client's place, having had a look at the project. Thanks to all for your suggestions, and I have a couple more questions.

We're looking at starting on the garage doors, five of 'em. (Car collector.) The existing finish is dull and faded. The client wants it to look "beautiful" and "perfect," and understands that it will need to be treated every year or so.

The doors (and beams, etc.) are made of solid mahogany. Existing stain/sealer is some generic, semi-transparent crud, poorly applied. Client agrees that we should take it down to the wood and build the finish back up into something lustrous.

In woodworking terms, my favorite finish keeps the natural beauty of the wood. I usually apply a few coats of high-quality shellac from flake -- usually dewaxed pale -- and then I apply a few coats of Maloof's Poly/Oil finish.. Clearly, though, that's for interior applications, and would not likely stand up well outside.

So... I'm now thinking about trying to map that kind of finish to exterior products:

-- I'd plan to get a crew in to power wash and/or sand the doors back to bare wood.

-- Would sealer coats of high-quality shellac be useful or indicated? (Bysaki might be a durable enough shellac, and impart a nice, darker tone to the wood.) I usually like how shellac makes mahogany glow.

-- Can we think of products that might be good for exterior application, but give the same result as something like the Maloof poly/oil finish? No problem if it has to be built up over many coats... Or, would it be best to head in another direction?

-- I'd prefer an oil type finish rather than a film finish such as varnish. Oil would tend to crack and peel far less, even though it might have to be refreshed more often.

At this point, it looks as though I'm committed in to the project, even if only in a supervisory role. ANY input would be greatly appreciated, and might result in me buyin' a few beers.

Thanks!
Rob
New Bern, NC