Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Reaction to walnut and new TV-Stand

On 10/26/2012 8:38 PM, Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Or as fancy as having a base with drawers in it:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1113554...359330 919090

I noticed your base had about a 45 degree (or less) bevel on top. Did
you chest meet it with the reverse bevel, and is the purpose to help
give it a "solid feel"? I enjoyed looking at the pictures.

Lots of ways to skin that cat, both with plywood and wood. Keep in mind
that for most casework of the type in your model, including bases for
same, plywood is usually a better choice for wood due to its dimensional
stability ... IOW, you don't have to necessarily design your piece with
hard to effect joinery that would be necessary to take into account wood
movement, either from a lack of tools, or the fact that you're still
developing the skills to use them.

Not to mention that most of that "solid wood", expensive "fine
furniture" casework you see in furniture stores is often plywood with
edge banding ... for reasons of dimensional stability, cost and ease of
manufacture, but it still looks and performs like "fine furniture".

With a TV stand that's both a valid method, and an excellent goal to aim
for.

I smiled a little when I asked myself how long it would take me to make
one of those little drawers in the bottom of your chest! It doesn't
look at though you cut any corners on your chest! Nice joinery
throughout! : )

Thanks ... labor of love, for my youngest daughter, as a gift from her
aunt (my SIL wrote a check for the material, I did the hard part ... (we
all do what we do best)). g

I don't recall the top of the base being beveled, although it's been a
few years?

--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010