Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder[_2_] Mr Pounder[_2_] is offline

Default The Dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...
Had a Dell Dimension 9100 given to me a couple of days ago and as soon as
I switched on I got the dreaded BSOD. Looking on the internet for advice,
the BSOD covers numerious problems.

I took the hard drive out and put it into another computer and virus
checked it. It found 2 viruses which were deleted, then it was placed back
into DELL PC and it worked fine. I did a manufacturers reset hoping this
would cure my problems. It did and it didn't. I took all the AOL, Tiscali
and Norton crap off and switched on the day after only to be greeted with
the BSOD again.

Does the manufactures reset just copy new files to the old file structure
or does it do a complete format of the hard drive and also when I press
Ctrl + F11 at bootup does this read a file on the non manufacturers part
of the hard drive before it restores the hard drive.

I was thinking of reformatting the hard drive using a Win XP disc and then
doing a manufacturers reset.

Advice most welcome please.....

Jim G

If you format you may well need the Dell disk to do so. I found this out to
my cost.