Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bell wire rating

On Friday, October 26, 2012 10:47:12 PM UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:
Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 21:49:52 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:
Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Fri, 05 Oct 2012 10:57:39 +0100, wrote:
On Thursday, October 4, 2012 5:09:52 PM UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 04/10/2012 09:16, Mark BR wrote:

Can I use 'bell wire' for a room thermostat for the combi boiler, or
is it
under-rated for that job?

In terms of current carrying capacity, it is probably adequate,
however
it is not well enough insulated to carry mains voltage.
The exception to this may be if the combi has a 24V option for
controls.
Bell wire is capable, just not lawful. And burying it in plaster can't
be counted as a 2nd layer of insulation
Plaster conducts does it?

More than you know - especially if slightly damp!

I've run 240 volts through bellwire, and touched the plastic. Didn't even
tingle.

That's not quite the point. It's about mechanical protection. If the
insulation gets nicked or stressed the failure is likely to propogate to the
core so now your insulation is compromised. With a secondary sheath, that
takes the stress.
Yes I know in the old days we had lamp flex or fairy lights with single
insulation - it would be rated as "Class O" - but it was considered
insufficiently safe so it is not used.
Just because you *can* use bell wire, does not mean you *should*.

True, but that argument appears to suggest it would be safe to use buried in plaster, but its still not allowed.

NT