Posted to alt.home.repair
.-. .-. is offline

Default Hurricane Supply Kit

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 10/26/2012 8:19 AM, HeyBub wrote:

There's really no need to stock up on water (usually). Water is
delivered,
mostly, from gravity-fed tanks and it doesn't really matter if the power
is
off....

Excepting it doesn't take long to empty one and if there isn't power to
the pumps to refill it (or pump it from the reservoir or well (here)) it
doesn't much matter whether it's a gravity pressure system or not. One
had best _always_ have water for emergencies as well as the other
necessities--it's simply silly to rely on somebody else for one's welfare
for things one can do for oneself...

--

While building a new house some 10 years ago and seeing a long pipe run
between the kitchen and bathroom, I installed two 50 gallon highly-insulated

If the city water fails, I have 100 gallons of drinkable water just by
shutting off the main house valve and opening an upstairs sink valve so that
air and gravity can do their thing. I've been thinking about adding a tire
valve fitting to the tank upstairs so that I could use a hand tire pump to
add some pressure to the system. Fortunately, there's been only one water
failure since installation, but that was enough to show that the system
worked.

Tomsic