Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default Heat pump in basement?

On 10/25/2012 6:15 PM, .-. wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
.-. wrote:
A neighbor of mine installed a ground water heat pump to heat and
cool his house. For a house of about 2500 square feet and well
insulated, it takes the water from 5 wells to supply enough BTUs
winter and summer to keep the house comfortable. It's very energy
efficient because the high volume of well water, either coming or
going is always about 50 degrees F +/- 10 degrees., so it can either
give or take plenty of BTUs, but drilling the wells was expensive.

Any idea how much water that is?

No, but I'll see if I can find out and post back. Some of the wells are
supply and the others are return and which is which depends upon the water
temperature as well as what mode the heat pump is in (heat or cool).

Tomsic

In the wells we use, the loop is one continuous circuit. There is no
supply and return, each well has two pipes that are connected at the
bottom of the well. When the pumps are running the water goes down one
pipe and up the other to the next well. The HVAC units are either
extracting the heat or the cool from the loop based on the thermostat
requirements. If the well field is properly sized the circuit sheds
heat into the well field strata during the summer or heats the loop in
the winter. The idea is to provide close to a constant temperature in
the loop that is much closer to the desired room temperature than the
delta using outside air. It takes a lot more Btu's to heat a room using
the outside air at 0* than to work with a 55* loop.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven