Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT - Funny Response From Time Warner Cable Regarding Modem

On Oct 24, 5:53*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 02:27:38 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03

wrote:

Actually, once they finally got me to someone who actually made sense (the
third person I chatted with) he made sure that I was aware that any modem
that I purchased from the approved list would work with the *current*
features and speeds. However, should TWC upgrade their hardware and/or
programming, those of us who own on our modems would have to purchase
another.

The tone of his chat was decidedly leaning towards the lease option.

Sure, they get $48 a year from you. *Most modems will cost less than
that and last 10 years. *I had the same offer from the phone company
for DSL and chose to buy. * Never needed tech support either.

Actually, the cheapest modem on their "approved" list is $54. I'm sure
the $3.95 x 12 has some taxes and "surcharges" added, so it may end up
being about 1 year wash. Even if I had to buy a new modem every year
to stay up to date with any new features they add (which won't happen)
it makes sense to buy, which is my plan.