Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default OT - Funny Response From Time Warner Cable Regarding Modem

" wrote in
:

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 05:53:00 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 02:27:38 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Actually, once they finally got me to someone who actually made sense
(the third person I chatted with) he made sure that I was aware that
any modem that I purchased from the approved list would work with the
*current* features and speeds. However, should TWC upgrade their
hardware and/or programming, those of us who own on our modems would
have to purchase another.

The tone of his chat was decidedly leaning towards the lease option.

Sure, they get $48 a year from you. Most modems will cost less than
that and last 10 years. I had the same offer from the phone company
for DSL and chose to buy. Never needed tech support either.

I generally lose a DSL modem every couple of years. No ESD or
lightning strike, it just stops working. AT&T no longer rents them.
They do spread the cost ($75, IIRC) over three months, if you want.

I never understood the rationale for renting a router or buying one
from the ISP, though. They want a lot of money for something that's
dirt cheap online.

It's my understanding that Verizon uses some kind of modified proprietary
software. There is no modem rental - you get a router as part of the
package. My ActionTec MI424-WR has functioned since the very beginning
of FiOS (well, the first one's radio quit in a week, but the second one
has worked ever since). The radio of the router is now weak and doesn't
get everywhere, so I have wired a DLink in the living room from the
upstairs router to give us WiFi and more ports here. Some time Ineed to
upgrade to a gigabit router and wiring, though.

--
Best regards
Han