Posted to sci.electronics.repair
WangoTango WangoTango is offline

Default reading "secure" GAL chips

In article ,
says...
I know they are almost a thing of the past but I wonder if there is
any way to extract the code from a protected GAL IC (example: GAL16V8A)
that has had its security bit set.
I repair mostly old Commodore 8 bit computers. There are a lot of
users of an after-market device called a RAMLink originally made by
Creative Micro Designs (CMD is now out of business) back in the 1980's,
and I was asked to repair a few of them. Turns out each one has four or
five GALs and they all are copy protected which makes repair of those
orphan devices impossible unless I can find a way to extract the code
from the chips in a working unit. Any hackers out there?

Ray

Some of the older devices could actually be unsecured and others had
tricks to get past the security fuse. Then there is the brute force
attack that others have mentioned. I have some old hardware that can do
both. I would be willing to give it a go if you want. I prefer the
analysis/brute force method because it poses no risk to the original
device. All I would need is known good originals, and a weekend to pull
out the old hardware and give it a go.

Jim