Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default easy way to generate an ac signal

Tim+ wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:
On 24/10/2012 15:31, misterroy wrote:

I have stepper motors in the room and am about to look into using them.
thanks

Stepper motor on a small pulley, toothed belt/elastic band and a large
driven pulley one with a handle and you are in business. Also educates
them how much work it would be to light a even an LED by hand!

That reminds me of an awful display at our local windfarm visitor centre.
(Whitelees). There's a hand cranked bicycle wheel that lights up a number
of halogen capsule bulbs (about 60W each at a guess).

When spinning fast (for virtually no effort), you can light up 4 or 5 of
these bulbs. What's that supposed to teach?

Nothing, unless the wheel controls a switching unit and they admit it.

Lighting 200 watts of electrical bulbs is a reasonably major effort
using human musclepower on its own. Now, if they had a switch to connect
some halogen bulbs, CFLs and LED lights all with the same light output,
*that* would make a good point.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.