View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default Chair Design Accommodating the Ladies

Just some more info I'm finding interesting... reading through "The Early Furniture of French Canada". This info is relative to other than just Canadian furniture.

"Console legs" - When I read this, I asked, Now, what the heck is this. Bracketed legs. http://www.flickr.com/photos/4383614...in/photostream

Further reading about this chair: "Armchair, having bracket or console-shaped legs as in 'Os de mouton chairs', and an arbalète-fronted seat rail. A curious mixture of styles. The back is in Louis XIV curvilinear form, while the set-back armrests are in the Louis XV manner. The incurved front seat rail of arbalète form is very rare. The cross-stretcher is of the type known as a 'double chapeau de gendarme'."

Further reading about the armchair design: "The 'habitants', having seen this type of chair in the Seigneur's manor, quickly imitated it for use in their homes. A great variety of specimens exist, some roughly made and some the work of craftmen. At first, they were made with bracket posts, the two front legs rising to a certain height, then curving back in a continuous line to form the armrests of the chair. In the early eighteenth century, the armrest were supported by brackets (supports d'accoudoir en console) set back a little from the front of the chair, to allow the ladies, whose skirts had taken on more ample proportions, to seat themselves elegantly without feeling confined. ...."

I had never realized the origin of the setting back of armrests/armrest posts, from the front of the chair, was to accommodate the ladies, that way.

Sonny