Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Durable Exterior Finish

Lew Hodgett wrote:

A mask with an oxygen bottle on your back like firemen use, is the
best approach.

Mike Marlow wrote:

A totally bad piece of advice. Fresh air is one thing, but oxygen is
quite
another. Firemen do not use oxygen bottles on their backs. Let that
be a
reminder when reading Lew's posts.

Richard wrote:

huh? I've dressed out for a few fires - with O2 on my back.

"Gil" wrote:

I really doubt that. I'd sure like to know what kind of masks you're
using. If it is true then someone better call in a safety officer.
Even a tiny leak of pure oxygen in a fire can be deadly. Most masks,
Scott, MSA, etc. use compressed air in their bottles. Not Oxygen.
(Twenty-eight years of full time fire fighting experience talking
here.)

Mea culpa, sometimes things work better if you engage brain before
typing.

Was most concerned in conveying that using a fireman's self contained
mask with a tank on the back system provided the best protection
against
inhaling catalyzed resin vapors into the lungs and the resultant
painful death
that would follow.

Might use of the term "oxygen" was meant to convey breathable gas in
a pressurized bottle rather than pure oxygen.

If memory serves me correctly, you can't breath pure oxygen on a
continuous
basis.

BTW, my apologies to Mike Marlow.

Lew