Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default O.T. Eco trucks and trailers ?

On 24/10/2012 06:51, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Arfa Daily wrote:

On last week's episode of Eddie Stobart Trucks and Trailers, they showed
driver Mark working with a new illegal-length trailer that they have been
given special dispensation to trial on UK roads, by the DoT. They said that
it was called an "Eco-trailer" because being some 2 metres longer than a
'standard' trailer, it would be able to carry nine more cages of Tesco
goods, which would mean less lorries on the road leading to a fuel and
pollution saving.

Am I the only one wondering exactly what stacking pattern, in a
rectangular trailer, gives them 9 extra cages in 2 m?

Divide the width (c2.4m) and the extra length each by three and you get
a size of cage around 0.8m x 0.66m. Now, thanks to you, I have to
remember to take a measure with me next time I go into Tesco, so I can
check a shelf stacking cage for size :-)

Colin Bignell