Posted to alt.home.repair
Han Han is offline

Default Plywood over attic insulation - ventilation concerns?

stratfordone wrote in
:

I'm looking to put plywood down to create more storage space in my
attic, but can't seem to find a straight answer on ventilation
concerns. I have an older home - 1940's - 2x6 joists with pink
fiberglass insulation rolled in. In general, the insulation is fairly
'loose' and doesn't protrude over the top of the joists. I know I can
easily get the plywood down over the insulation and the insulation
would probably still be somewhat loose in there allowing for 'some'
airflow, but are there any concerns as to ventilation/condensation in
the insulation once its been sealed over with plywood?

Also, my home is older and does not have soffits and/or soffit vents.
I have gable vents on either side and two roof turbine style vents.
Are there any concerns with butting the plywood sheets up against the
outside roof lines? Or, should I leave some area where the roof line
meets the structure for some reason? My house is brick exterior with
fascia right over the brick at the roof line. I've been told (not sure
if this is reliable) that air needs to come up behind the fascia into
the attic for proper ventilation? Of course this also means insects
easily get up in there and that's part of the reason I would love to
be able to plywood the entire attic area flush with the roofline (as
well as for cosmetic reasons).

Thoughts on this from those of you who understand attic ventilation?
Many thanks!

In my 1929 house there were several kinds of insulation on the ceiling
below the attic joists. We hired someone to remove it all and put foam
insulation against the roof sheathing. The attic was MUCH cooler this
summer, which must have helped with the A/C costs. This was done after
an energy audit and together with a few other things qualified for a 50%
rebate from NJ state.

--
Best regards
Han