Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] earthbased@gmail.com is offline

Default Black Mold Infected Downspout Threads in Bathtub - Advice Please!

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:45:18 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 23, 2:50*pm, wrote:

I recently moved to condo that had black specks around drain in bathtub.. *I determined it was Black Mold. It was so bad I decided to replace the whole drain. *After removing the drain I noticed the installer used putty to coat the plastic threads and as a ring seal. *This putty failed and set up a cozy home for the black mold to launch an attack on the whole drain. *Well, I am having real trouble cleaning the black mold off the plastic tub threads and wonder if the mold may have damaged the threads. *Should I just replace the whole tub? *Looking for experienced advice. *Thanks much! *-- Alex

I can't imagine replacing an entire tub just because of mold on some

threads.

Killing the mold with bleach shouldn't be a problem, even if some

discoloration remains.

BTW..are you sure that the tub itself is threaded? I've repaired and/

or replaced a few tubs and tub drains and I don't think I've ever seen

a tub that was threaded. Usually the fixtures are threaded and are

secured with a large nut after being inserted into a non-threaded

hole. I'm not saying threaded tubs don't exist, I'm simply saving I've

never seen one.

Now that I look closer it is a fixture thread bolted from bottom. The rubber is black (why would they use a black washer???). Looks like I got most of the Black Mold. Will give the threads another bleach application.

Thanks!