Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Dull red from a video projector

This thread is a bit confusing. To got one person talking about a color wheel and another talking about a dichroic mirror.

The twain shall never meet. there can be a DLP without a color wheel, but it will be a three panel and it will have dichroic mirrors. Though I don't believe it has been done, there could be an LCD with a color wheel, but it would need one superfast refresh panel.

Why don't you just post the model number.

You have two completely different scenarios here, and one main point, is the red dull in the OSD generated inside ?

If it is a three panel of whatever type, and the fault appears in the menus, you are looking at a fried dichroic. If it is a one panel it is most likely the color wheel but a physical inspection is warranted.

If it only has a three section color wheel that's one thing. They just are n ot very likely to fail in that way. If they do you will see it, there should be a band where the light was. If it has a seven segment color wheel, yes it could quite have darkened but it's not all that likely.

Incidentally one brand of these does get a fault in which the red section of the seven segment wheel breaks free and then not only is the color screwed up, the thing vibrates like all hell.

Why no model number ? Or did I miss it ? I do believe I read the thread here. Hell, I might have the service manual on my harddrive. sure you have it, but I don't know what this thing is and we don't even know if it's a DLP or LCD or lycos or what.

If it's a seven segment color wheel and the red looks good, it probably is in the signal processing. That is a whole different basllpark.