Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Plywood over attic insulation - ventilation concerns?

"stratfordone" wrote in message
I'm looking to put plywood down to create more storage space in my attic,
but can't seem to find a straight answer on ventilation concerns. I have
an older home - 1940's - 2x6 joists with pink fiberglass insulation rolled
in. In general, the insulation is fairly 'loose' and doesn't protrude over
the top of the joists. I know I can easily get the plywood down over the
insulation and the insulation would probably still be somewhat loose in
there allowing for 'some' airflow, but are there any concerns as to
ventilation/condensation in the insulation once its been sealed over with
plywood?

If you are considering covering the entire attic with plywood as you
described there will be a temptation to load it up with lots of storage. 2x6
joists are not strong enough for anything more than a little light storage,
they are designed only strong enough to support the ceiling on the underside
and to support anyone working up in the attic. Before you cover the attic
with plywood, you should sister all the joists with 2x8 joists at minimum.
Plumbing vents and wiring may be a problem and interfere with adding the
additional supports.