Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default LED lamps

On 23/10/2012 12:56, Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , wrote:
On Tuesday, 23 October 2012 06:58:59 UTC+1, Chris J Dixon wrote:
swimmydeepo wrote:

I've just installed 4 led down-lighters in a small bathroom...very happy so far.

My first advice? Go for low voltage ones - watt per watt 12v led gives more light (more efficient) and a more pleasant white than the high voltage bulbs

Would you care to explain that a bit more? Aren't the actual LEDs
identical, it is just the production of a suitable voltage for
them that differs between LV and mains lamps. Do you mean that
this conversion loss lowers efficiency?

I think swimmydeepo's statement comes about from the lower voltage LEDs ability to share the LED driver. Having one driver for lots of low voltage LEDs is probably more efficient than having one driver per LED.

Especially one driver per LED that has to be squeezed into the "bulb".

I don't see how it affects the colour though. Both 12v and 240v are available
in a range of colour temperatures, but the same LED ought to give the same
white at the same power, regardless of the driver efficiency.

Yup, I think that is confusing issues that apply to halogen (where LV
are "whiter"), but not LED

--
Cheers,

John.