Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] docholliday93@gmail.com is offline

Default Water-based Paint

On Tuesday, October 23, 2012 8:11:10 AM UTC+1, stuart noble wrote:

The problems with water based have been a) retarding the drying to allow
the paint to form a uniform film and b) imparting toughness into a film
that will perform at low temperatures. I don't think there will ever be
a good gloss, but undercoat and satin seem to work well enough.

From a user's point of view - as far as I am concerned the main problem with water based paints has been with the water causing raised grain on woodwork. Obviously this isn't a problem if you're not painting wood, or there are no exposed patches of bare wood, but I've had problems with water based primers. It's frustrating when you've sanded everything down to a nice smooth finish and then someone slaps water based paint on and you have to do it all again...
On the other hand looking at the cheap panelled doors made with fake raised grain on the hardboard facings - maybe that's what the suppliers think people want?