Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soft close solenoid valve for DIY fox scarer?

presented the following explanation :
I finished making my fox (and cat) scarer using one of those noisy impulse
water sprinklers. This is controlled by a PIR which activates a 12v solenoid
valve connected to the garden hose that then connects to the sprinkler.

I tested that idea around 20 years ago :-)

I gave the idea up simply because our water pressure was not sufficient
to provide a jet of water quickly enough on the opening of the
solenoid.

One solution to the shock, might be to T in a length of hose pipe
between solenoid and water supply. If the new length of pipe were
maintained full of air, then because the air is and the hose are
compressible, it would act as a buffer to the shock.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)