Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default Water-based Paint

On 23/10/2012 08:11, stuart noble wrote:
On 22/10/2012 21:39, polygonum wrote:
Have been doing a bit of interior painting recently - where I have been
using Joncryl primer/undercoat and Johnstone's acrylic sheen. Because I
have been switching between the two, I have repeatedly washed the brush
out after doing one or two door sides. (With oil-based I'd have used two
brushes and not cleaned fully till the end. But it is so easy to wash
out the water-based...)

The washing out and thereby not allowing any significant accumulation of
drying paint to occur made life so much nicer. Previous usage of
water-based I have tended to keep going, going, going and getting a
slowly-drying ridge of paint towards the top of the brush - but never
again.

And the paint finish has been as good as any I have ever achieved. I
like this new era of water-based...

The problems with water based have been a) retarding the drying to allow
the paint to form a uniform film and b) imparting toughness into a film
that will perform at low temperatures. I don't think there will ever be
a good gloss, but undercoat and satin seem to work well enough. Not sure
about high traffic skirting etc though.
There are superb acrylic finishes (these days on most cars I would
think) but they need a precisely controlled temperature during
application and drying. Not easy given how the temperature drops during
spraying. Maybe they dip cars now?

They do not dip top coats - might do so for some bottom layer(s). And
they most certainly do not dip on refinish! (E.g. repair after accident.)

Many refinish works never use anything but some form of
acrylic/water-based and do not smell much of any solvent.

--
Rod