Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default 60% off discount at Home Depot after I asked for the Corporate Telephone Number

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
SMS wrote:
Last night I was buying OSB at Home Depot at about 8:15 p.m.. Before I
even went to the store, I though to myself "is there going to be
anyone there to operate the saw," since I needed it cut. I took my
chances and rolled the sheets of OSB back to the saw. There were no
employees in the lumber department. I looked up the phone number of
the store and called the service desk and they told me they'd send
someone back there. I called three times. By that time, there were
two other people waiting to have lumber cut.

I was going to leave, but I was annoyed, especially since this store
has been cutting staff and worsening service for a long time. I went
up the service desk to ask for the corporate office phone number.
Apparently I asked the manager of the store, and he was wonderful. He
walked over to the lumber department, found an employee that was
doing something else that wasn't critical, and send him back to help
the three customers waiting for service.

When I checked out with the lumber the manager was now manning the
cash register. I did not ask for, nor did I expect, any discount, but
he rang up the purchase and gave me 60% off the total. $35.94 became
$14.38.
BTW, at Home Depot they will usually write the keypad code for the
saws and for the electrical wire thingee on the wall. I could have
cut the lumber myself and no one would have ever noticed since there
was no one around, but the saw may be on camera.

Conversely, I sat down on my riding lawn mower for the second time this
morning and turned the key.

THE FREAKIN' BATTERY EXPLODED!

That's exactly what it did - it blew up! Scared the bejesus out of me and
garage cat who was watching with feigned indifference.

Took the remnants of the battery back to Walmart. "It's out of warranty,"
said the clerk.

"Forget about warranty," said I. "It damn near killed me and both my
neighbors! It's a safety issue."

"It's out of warranty," said the supervisor.

"I'm not making a warranty claim," I repeated. "I'm claiming attempted
manslaughter!"

"I'm terribly sorry, sir," was the final word from the store manager. "The
battery's warranty has long since expired. I can, however, make a saftey
report."

"And just how is a 'safety report' going to affect me in the next five
minutes?" I inquired. "I can barely hear you, I have acid burns on my
hand, my cat is in the next county, I'm even afraid to be in this sales
room with so many potential bombs!"

Presently I left and bought a replacement battery at the auto parts store.
I should have asked how often this happens... Anybody know the area code
for Bentonville?

That's what happens when you over charge the battery or try to jump start it
with your pick up..Batteries don't just explode on their own..It requires
stupidity on the part of a human or mechanical failure on the charging
system....Blaming Wal-Mart for your mistake or other mechanical failure is
dishonest...Glad they saw thru your ruse as that drives up the cost to the
rest of us.....