Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Help with welding symbol use

On Mon, 22 Oct 2012 11:47:08 -0700, scritch
wrote:

I have a question about the "weld-all-around" symbol. We have a detail
where we have a stiffener plate welded to the inside of an I-beam. It
is welded on the full lengths of each flange and along the web, but only
on one side of the stiffener plate. Is it inappropriate to put the
"weld-all-around" circle on the welding callout if the callout indicates
a weld on only one side of the plate? I got a call today from a client
who believes the circle means weld all around, both sides, even though
the callout only indicates weld on one side.

I think your client is right. The AWS symbols standard says:

3.10 Weld-All-Around Symbol

3.10.1 Welds in Multiple Directions or Planes. A
continuous weld, whether single or combined type, ex-
tending around a series of connected joints may be speci-
fied by the addition of the weld-all-around symbol at the
junction of the arrow and reference line. The series of
joints may involve different directions and may lie in more than
one plane.

--
Ned Simmons